One of the more unique wine tastings we conducted this year at Red White and Cru was a pairing of wines with girl scout cookies. Pairing wines with sweets can be difficult and the flavor combinations in the cookies made for some additional challenges, but we took our best shot and ended up with 5 out of 6 winners as judged by the participants.
The pairings we settled on were:
- Pure Loire Sparkling Brut Vouvray / Trefoils
- Chateau Doisy-Védrines Sauternes / Samoas
- Honig Sauvignon Blanc / Lemonades
- Taylor Fladgate 10-year Tawny Port / Peanut Butter Patties
- Accordini Valpoliceella Ripasso / Thanks-a-lot
- Chateau des Deduits Fleurie Beaujolais – Thin Mints
The two favorites of the group (there was a tie in the voting) were the Honig Sauvignon Blanc with the Lemonades and the Tawny Port with the Peanut Butter Patties, but all except the Beaujolais and the Thin Mints were considered worth serving together. To find out what made each pairing special, and why the Beaujolais didn’t cut it, watch the video from the tasting posted by Calvin Powers. To see Calvin’s entire post on the tasting, click the link below the video.